Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Coming up for Light

Greetings Everyone,

   It has been a challenging and bountiful summer. I cannot believe it has flown by so fast. I've been on a deeply interior trajectory while at the same time building my work projects quietly and with weather that has not been entirely helpful.

    Also, sadly, the drama of the world has impinged greatly on sensitive spirits such as my own... it is hard to know how to stay present with our own efforts when so much turbulence threatens to tear our sense of "home" however large or small that me be, apart. Since much of what I make, creatively both in object and in photograph is all about "Home" all this sense of a fracturing world has been difficult to ride out.

   I am sorry to have been so absent from my blog. The truth is, I have been mostly in overwhelm mode. I found that all of my creative energy was required for my work. Once I have finished processing the best photos I'll be pleased to share many new houses and images with you as a result of my heads-down focus. Also I simply needed to attend to my little set of responsibilities which compared to the world's dramas made me feel that I had little to say to the world right now.

   But I found a beautiful piece of writing in some of my old journals a few days ago that speaks so eloquently to our times, that I thought I should share it here and now with you as part of my re-entry (hopefully) back to my blog. Here it is....the DESIDERATA from Max Ehrmann......enjoy!

   Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember 
what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and
everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully
surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark  imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive [The Divine] to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Desiderata by Max Ehrmann





1 comment:

claude said...

Nice thoughts, thank you for sharing and beautiful serenity to you

Welcome to the enchanted world of Environmental art and Faerie Houses sculptures created by Sally J Smith. Here you will find photos of the artist's unique art-forms and hear some of the stories from behind the scenes as she shares with you her creative process.